Dr. Terry L. Baumer
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Office: BS 4084
- Ph.D., Loyola University of Chicago, Sociology
- M.A., Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Sociology
- B.A., Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Sociology
- Senior Researcher, Westinghouse Evaluation Institute
- Research Associate, Center for Urban Affairs, Northwestern University
Major fields of expertise
- Designing and evaluating criminal justice programs which improve the quality of justice
- Community corrections
- Crime trends and fear of crime
- Bank robbery and retail theft
- Electronically monitored home detention
- Drug and alcohol dependence
- Baumer, Terry. 2007. "Reducing Lockup Crowding with Expedited Initial Processing of Minor Offenders." Journal of Criminal Justice. 36(3): 273-281.
- Baumer, Terry L. and Kenneth Adams. 2006. "Controlling a Jail Population by Partially Closing the Front Door: An Evaluation of a 'Summons in Lieu of Arrest' Policy." The Prison Journal 86(3):386-402.
- Baumer, Terry L. 1998. "Assessing the Need for Treatment in the Arrestee Population." Journal of Crime and Justice 21(2):173-190.
- Baumer, Terry L. and Robert I.Mendelsohn. 1995. "A Cautionary Tale About Electronically Monitored Home Detention." In Ken Schulz (ed) Electronic Monitoring and Corrections: The Policy, The Operation, The Research, Burnaby, British Columbia: Simon Fraser University.
- Baumer, Terry L., Michael G. Maxfield, and Robert I. Mendelsohn. 1993. "A Comparative Analysis of Three Electronically Monitored Home Detention Programs." Justice Quarterly 10:121-142. (NOTE: This article was subsequently reprinted in Journal of Offender Monitoring 1994 7:1-13.)
- Maxfield, Michael G. and Terry L. Baumer. 1992. "Pretrial Home Detention with Electronic Monitoring: a Nonexperimental Salvage Evaluation." Evaluation Review 16:315-332.
- Baumer, Terry L. and Robert I. Mendelsohn. 1992. "Electronically Monitored Home Confinement: Does It Work?" Chapter prepared for Smart Sentencing: An Examination of the Emergence of Intermediate Sanctions. James Byrne, Arthur Lurigio, and Joan Petersilia (eds.). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Maxfield, Michael G. and Terry L. Baumer. 1990. "Home Detention with Electronic Monitoring: Comparing Pretrial and Postconviction Programs." Crime and Delinquency 36(4):521-536.
- Terry L. Baumer. 1985. "Testing a General Model of Fear of Crime: Data from a National Sample." Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency.
- Dennis Rosenbaum and Terry Baumer. 1984. "Measuring and Controlling Employee Theft: a National Assessment of the State-of-the-Art." Journal of Security Administration 5:67-80.
- J101, American Criminal Justice System
- J439, Crime and Public Policy
- J331, American Corrections
Board of Directors, Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana