Suzann Weber Lupton, J.D.
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director of Academic Affairs
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Office: BS 4065
Professor Lupton joined the IUPUI public affairs faculty in 2010 after a legal career that included work in the public and private sectors. She also served as a member of adjunct faculty at the IU School of Law in Indianapolis. She is a candidate for a Ph.D. in Philanthropic Studies. Her research focuses on health philanthropy and the connections between philanthropic institutions and the state.
- Ph.D. Candidate, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
- J.D., Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, 1991
- B.A., English, DePauw University, 1988
- Attorney at Law, Baker & Daniels, Indianapolis, 1997-2010
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Adjunct Faculty
- Deputy Attorney General, Office of the Indiana Attorney General, 1992-1997
- Indiana Supreme Court Law Clerk, 1991-1992
Major fields of expertise
- Nonprofit and voluntary organizations
- Health philanthropy
- Nonprofit Management
- Law and Public Policy
Publications and presentations
- "To Improve Mankind: The Work of the Showalter Research Trust," presented at: Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science, University of Louisville Medical School (Louisville, Kentucky), March 5-6, 2010.
- "'America Alone': Assessing American Attitudes about International Humanitarian Relief," presented at: "Worlds Turned Upside Down: Crisis, Calamity, and Cataclysm," West Virginia University (Morgantown, West Virginia), April 2-4, 2009.
- "Legal and Regulatory Update," Giving USA 2008 and Giving USA 2007.
- Appellate Civil Case Law Updates, Res Gestae, 1997-2000 (published quarterly).
- "Isaac Blackford: First Man of the Court," 30 Indiana Law Review 319 (1997).
- Book review: "Declarations of Independence by Howard Zinn," XV Legal Studies Forum 269 (1991).
- "Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later? The Question of Prospective Damage Claims for Genetic Injury in Wrongful Life Claims," 23 Indiana Law Review 753 (1990).
- Law and Public Policy, SPEA V376
- Nonprofit Management, SPEA V362
- Leadership and Ethics, SPEA V412
- Public Policy Process, SPEA V512
- Law, Management and Public Policy, SPEA V640
- Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector, SPEA, V521
- Legal Analysis Research and Communication, LAW D520 & D521
Awards and recognition
- Outstanding Performance Awards for Graduate Teaching, SPEA, 2008-2009 and 2007-2008
- Jaguars' Favorite Professor, Honoree
- Charles Whistler Pro Bono Publico Award (2007)
- Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness Member