Jeffrey R. Paine
On leave until fall 2016
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Office: BS 4083
Dr. Paine joined the SPEA faculty as a Lecturer in Public Affairs in the Fall 2009 semester. He primarily teaches V170 Introduction to Public Affairs and other undergraduate courses.
- University of Illinois at Springfield, Springfield IL
Doctor of Public Administration, 2009
- Master of Arts, Environmental Studies, 2003, cum laude
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
Bachelor of Science, Agricultural Communications, 1983
- Richland Community College, Decatur, IL
Associate in Science, 1980
- University of Illinois at Springfield, Springfield, IL, 2008-2009, Visiting Lecturer in Environmental Studies and Political Science
- University of Illinois at Springfield, Springfield, IL, 2004-2008, Doctoral research assistant
- Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety, Springfield IL, 1988-2003, Public Information Specialist
- Mid-Illinois Newspapers, Inc., Mattoon IL, 1983-1988, Reporter, Photographer and Business/Agriculture Editor
Dr. Paine's specialty is sustainability in the relationship between the public, nonprofit and private sectors in state and local settings. He is especially interested the public's participation in sustainability decisions and in increasing the awareness and publicly oriented activity of students.
Publications and presentations
- Paine, Jeffrey R. (1996). Will nuclear power ever pay for itself? Social Science Journal, 33(4): 459-473.
- Paine, Jeffrey R. (2009). Motivation to serve the public: testing the measures and exploring the antecedents in local government. Paper presented at the International Public Service Motivation Research Conference, Indiana University-Bloomington, June 7-9, 2009.
- Paine, Jeffrey R. (2009). Relating Public Service Motivation to Behavioral Outcomes. Paper presented at the International Public Service Motivation Research Conference, Indiana University-Bloomington, June 7-9, 2009.
- Environmental Physical Geography
- Introduction to Public Affairs (V170)
- Introduction to the American Political System
- Leadership and Ethics (V412)
- Combined Upper-division Undergraduate/Graduate
- Organization Dynamics
- Research Methods in Environmental Studies
Awards and recognition
- American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) (Since 2004)
- Section on Intergovernmental Affairs and Management (Since 2006)
- Pi Alpha Alpha, the Public Administration Honor Society (2009)
- UIS College of Public Affairs and Administration Research Support Grant, Spring 2008